- Break down the gender binary
- Understand the difference between sex, gender, and sexual orientation
- Understand patriarchy and how it affects all of us
Key concepts: Sex, Gender, Sexual Orientation, Gender Binary, Gender Norms, Gender Roles, Sexism, Patriarchy, Transphobia, Homophobia, Heterosexism...
- Share personal reflections on identity and intersectionality
- Understand the importance of intersectionality in our campaigns and movements
- Think about ways to build inclusive and expansive communities.
Key concepts: identity, intersectionality
- Understand the roots of the rise of Islamo-racism in Orientalism, war, and imperialism, in the context of race and white supremacy, and how this is constructing a specific racial identity among those perceived to be Muslim.
- Be able to connect today’s use of Islamo-racism to drum up white nationalism to other historical...
- Explore our experiences with colonialism, imperialism, and migration.
- Learn about migration as an outcome of white supremacy, and the connections that exist across race and ethnicity in the structures of colonialism and imperialism.
- Consider how Asian American movement building can help to dismantle colonialism and...
- Understand how anti-Black ideas serve to perpetuate and normalize structural racism.
- See how anti-blackness divides us and prevents us from building power together.
- Explore where negative ideas about Black people come from in the United States, and in our Asian countries of origin.
Key Concepts: Race...
- Understand race was created as a strategy to build wealth and power for an elite few.
- Understand white supremacy.
- See how slavery and blackness affects all people in the structure of the U.S. nation-state.
Key Concepts: Race, blackness, whiteness, chattel slavery, settler colonialism, imperialism,...
- Understand the role that race plays in defining how workers and working class people live their lives
- Introduce Marx concept of alienation to think about why white vs. POC workers have different perceived interests
- Understand how white supremacy operates to divide and conquer workers
Key Concepts: ...
- Understand how national origin/race affect US immigration policy & immigration policy’s roots in racism & white supremacy
- Review different paths to the U.S. that Asian immigrants and refugees have taken since 19th century
- Understand how war, imperialism, and white supremacy intertwine to create exploitative...
- Understand the difference between sexual identity and gender expression
- Learn about the impact of heterosexism and homophobia in our communities
- Explore how we can fight for queer justice in Asian American communities
Key Concepts: LGBTQQI, gender expression, gender identity, heterosexism, homophobia...
- Understand how stereotypes and beliefs about Black people maintain a culture of anti-blackness.
- Reflect on how anti-blackness divides us and prevents us from building power together.
- Lay the groundwork for effective allyship with Black communities that acknowledges privileges and shared oppressions